Friday, January 4, 2008

Juno: "honest to blog", it's lamer than you think it is even if you think you liked it.

Sometimes, a little slice of pop culture like Juno comes along and seems to set the world on fire. Is the world really on fire? Is Juno really enjoyable, or do you just spend most of the time watching the movie preparing to laugh. It's almost like the marketing campaign and the intrigue of another off-the-mark indie-hipster cliche flick convinced people that they should be "getting it" and laughing even though you'd have to be retarded to laugh during this movie. It reminds me of a lame band that I hate called the Moldy Peaches.

Has anyone been sooo over it before?
My boyfriend dragged me to watch them at the Manuel Artime theater in Miami, and as I sat there watching the most annoying people I'd ever seen in my life dance around like they were putting on a skit for grandma, what really puzzled me was why the audience seemed to like it so much. Come to think of it, at the end of Juno the two characters sing a Moldy Peaches song to each other as they strum acoustic guitars. I don't know what's worse, but the audience seemed to like that too. Am I taking crazy pills? Not today anyway.

Also, it's a pretty ridiculous, movie-ruining notion that the Juno character - cute, smart, whatever Ellen Page is most likely - would really fall in love with the Paulie Bleeker (father of the her baby) character -- a character that seems like something Wes Anderson might have farted onto a page in high school - when he's ignored her needs and issues for 9 months. Ellen Page: yay. Diablo Cody: naybe (Is that as clever as "Honest to Blog?"). Michael Cera: nay.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your distaste for Juno and assault on those who found humor in it remind me of a similar smear campaign you launched a few years back against David Sedaris. (I believe you may have even called his fans, myself once again included, "retards" as well.) I wonder if in a few years, you will own Juno, Juno II, and Juno III. They can sit alongside your David Sedaris books that you have come to enjoy.

Anonymous said...

I think you know it sucked and you're scared to back pedal. David Sedaris is pretty okay, but he, like most writers (I guess), has some pretty weak moments - esp. in Me Talk Pretty One Day.