Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Open Mic at El Cid

Last night, my boy and I went to El Cid, a Mexican restaurant and Friday night east side indie rock venue, in a historic building in Silverlake, that holds an open mic on Wednesdays. Open mics in LA are generally entertaining - people are either promising or deliciously delusional - and this one was pretty much a continuous back-and-forth between decent and hilarious. One stand out being an Asian guy in cargo pants and a blazer who sang a song about a man who learns that all he and his wife have to eat are hot dogs after a 9.5 quake hits Los Angeles on Christmas Eve. So, he asks her to heat hot dogs up in her arm pits for him. The guys name was Chuck Z, and he was ripe for first rounds of American Idol. Six string shmee played two of his songs, "Free Ride" and "Yesterday's Tomorrow Is Today". He's a seasoned performer, but not in the singer/songwriter genre, so he has to play ten of these things before I let him book a real solo gig. He's quickly getting better at it. El Cid is fun as hell and has decent drink and tapas menu prices. My steak was delish and the Captain Diet mix was just right. Our waiter was a rad dude with a curly stache who let me have six drinks when I told him I wasn't driving. Ouch.

Oh, by the way, there was this outrageously crazy chick, The Fabulous Miss Wendy, who threw down some a capella dirty rhymes. That's my kinda bitch.

No comments: